It’s the day after Mother’s Day and however you spent your day, if you’re a working mum you are probably heading back to work today or later this week.
You may be a working mum through choice or through necessity. There are lots of dual-earning families out there – whatever the reason, you need to know you are awesome!
Maybe you don’t always feel awesome – there will be times when you question your decision and guilt can start to creep in. We think it’s important to be proud of all your achievements both as a parent and as an employee or business owner.
So, we’re laying down some rules for all you working mums!
- Never forget – all working mums love their families and do their best.
- Be happy and confident in your decision – whether you want to work or have to work, accept that you’ve made a choice that is best for you and your family.
- Tell guilt to ‘do one’ – don’t constantly berate yourself for not spending enough time with your children. It’s a destructive emotion and can gnaw away at you.
- Remember you are a great role model for your daughters and sons. Seeing Mum working to fulfill her own ambitions or to support the family goes a long way to helping the next generation accept that gender bias has no place in society.
- Be proud of the commitment you are making to contribute to supporting your family.
- Have realistic expectations. Whether you work full-time or part-time you will have to make choices on a daily basis. We bet you’re already great at planning and being organized. Ask everyone in the family to pitch in wherever possible.
- Make sure you have some ‘me time’ too. Every working mum we know puts loads of energy into her family. So, you deserve time off occasionally to relax and recharge.
- Don’t judge or compare your situation to others. Every family is different and what suits others won’t suit you.
If you are a working mum looking for a new job in Bristol or North Somerset, then do have a look at our current vacancies. All our jobs are permanent roles, no contracts, so great for security if you are supporting your family.